Understanding the Principles of Intercultural Communication
The first module offers an interdisciplinary theoretical framework for understanding how culture and cultural differences shape interpersonal, intergroup, and mediated communication. Students will be introduced to concepts of culture, communication, and identity. The module will outline principles for inclusive communication with Others based on recognition of differences, privileges, and disadvantages.
- To understand issues pertaining to cultural differences;
- To perceive the enrichment that diversity offers;
- To develop skills for engaging with cultural Others;
- To comprehend how culture shapes communication;
- To acquire analytical skills to diagnose problems, and design creative plans for inclusion and enrichment.
- Theoretical framework;
- Principles for inclusive communication with Others based on recognition of differences, privileges, and disadvantages;
- Why groups and individuals disagree about their meaning or how to resolve them;
- Integration of migrants;
- Relationships in multicultural environments.
The framework presented in this first module will be deepened in the subsequent modules.